Erzincan, which had been hosted many Anatolian civilizations, had lost most of its historical monuments due to big earthquakes, while remains had been damaged, however, some have been able to be repaired.
The city is surrounded with mountains and is very convenient for outdoor sports. You can make ski and off-road trips in Ergan Mountain, canoe in Fırat River, experience adrenaline with rafting, do paragliding, explore Karanlık (Dark) Canyon. You may have a joyful day on slope of Munzur Mountain.
Terzibaba Cemetery and Mausoleum
Sufism master Muhammed Vehbi is known by people as Terzibaba as his real job is tailoring. The name of Erzincan's biggest cemetery Kaledibi Cemetery was changed as Terzibaba Cemetery due to Terzibaba being buried here, in 1848.
Mausoleum is entered via a stair having four steps. At the entrance there is a rain coving with two columns and covered with lead. Inside the mausoleum consists of a plain, octagon cover. It has crossed iron cages on the gate and windows.
Çadırcı Turkish Bath
Built in 1548, Çadırcı Turkish Bath (Çadırcı Hamamı) is one of the most durable classic Ottoman structures still standing in Erzincan. It has four iwans and corner cell. Entrance is via two different gates on east side. The bath has three sections as changing room, cold and hot rooms, and is covered with pendant domes.
Taşçı Turkish Bath
Taşçı Turkish Bath (Taşçı Hamamı) has been designed according to Ottoman architecture at the beginning of 19th century in a rectangular plan, and has warmth room, four iwans hot setting and furnace sections which were not used after 1939 earthquake. Structure's architecture features are reflected best via north facade, while south facade is the section of bath most changed in past.
Hacı Hafız Mausoleum
Hafız Mehmet Rüştü Efendi is one of the very first followers of Terzibaba and died in 1891. His mausoleum has an octagon plan, and there is a cantilever on two posts at the entrance. The mausoleum, having a window at each corner, has a conic roof covered with red tiles. Hacı Hafız Mausoleum (Hacı Hafız Türbesi) had been come down many times and undergone various repairs.
Kızlar Castle is near Altıntepe Archaeological Area which includes ruins from Urartu period. Castle, in which ceramic artifacts are found from Urartu period, has been built by carving the rocks. On northwest, there are two cisterns with three meters interval, accessible with stairs. Cisterns are two meters high and two meters wide.
The Clock Tower still surviving today, was built instead of old Clock Tower came down during 1939 earthquake. This square sectioned iconic artifact, refreshing an old memory, was built cut stone and divided into four floors with transversal molds. Each floor was disposed on each other which are getting smaller upwards. On top of last floor, there are clocks on each side while there are wooden windows on each side of each floor. The tower has changing colored lightening and is worth to see especially in nights.
Değirmenli Köy Church
The church was built in 19th century with cut and undressed stones. There are rounded arched windows on both sides of entrance gate on west side of the building.
İzzet Paşa Turkish Bath
This is an Ottoman bath which has been built in 1869. It is constructed on a rectangular area using undressed stones. It consists of warmth room, cold room, hot room and furnace sections. Also, there are ornaments on ceiling and on various location of the bath.
The memorial was built on top of a high hill in memory of martyred soldiers during Otlukbeli War in 1473 between Mehmet the Conqueror and Long Hassan.
Başköy Cemetery and Mosque
It is though that the graves in Başköy Cemetery (Başköy Mezarlığı) are belonging to soldiers martyred during Otlukbeli War. On the graves of Akkoyunlu and Karakoyunlu people, there are statues from 15th century, as well as pitcher, rush, poplar tree and horse motives on gravestones those known having different meanings. On the other hand, rose, bird, vase motives on gravestones dated in 16th century reflects Ottoman stone masonry arts. The mosque is still open for pray and has been used as madrassah for some time.
Altıntepe Urartu Castle
Castle is 15 km away from Erzincan centrum, and an old build hosted Urartu and Byzantine civilizations. It is one of the most durable Urartu castles reaching to present day. Restoration works on settlements built in Urartu period continues to this day.
Tumulus, located within Üzümlü district, is about 500 mt. long and 20 mt. high, and has ceramic artifacts from Urartu and Hellene periods. Saztepe Tumulus (Saztepe Höyüğü) is an important historical location for being near to Altıntepe and Küçük Tepe tumulus as well as for including valued ceramics.
Kemah Castle (Kemah Kalesi) had been being used since third and second thousand BCE until today. It is considered as one of the Anatolia's oldest and world's rare natural castles. The castle has been built on cliffs and surrounded by ramparts. Constructed with large blocks of cut stones has been fortified with pentagonal bastions.
Melik Gazi Mausoleum
The mausoleum is from Mengücek Chiefdom, ruled the region between 1071 - 1228. It is built on rocky platform northwest of Kemah. It has brick walls and eight corners.
In mausoleum, also known as Sultan Melek by locale people, there is mummy of Sultan Melik lived in Mengücek Chiefdom period, as well as five other graves.
The construction date of Acemoğlu Bridge (Acemoğlu Köprüsü) is not known. The bridge is on Karasu River, connecting two sides of Acemoğlu Strait and built cut stones with single arch.
Gülabi Bey Mosque and Turkish Bath
It is though that the mosque and bath, located in Kemah district center, has been built in 15th century in Turkmen Akkoyunlu State period.
Cengerli Castle Roman Warehouse
Building originated from Hayasa and Urartu periods. Roman Warehouse on north section of Cengerli Castle (Cengerli Kalesi) consists of three rounded buildings.
The church is one of the oldest buildings located in Refahiye district. The cross motive engraved on lintel at the entrance, and icons drawn on walls inside seem like shedding light to the history.
Esat Muhlis Mosque
The Esat Muhlis Mosque (Esat Muhlis Cami) is located in Refahiye district center, has western period ornaments, and there Bahaattin Paşa Martyrs Memorial in the court. The historical mosque is restored in 2013 and open for pray.
Orta Cami (Central Mosque)
It is thought that the mosque is an Ottoman monument dated in 17th century. The mosque has a single dome and colored cut stones had been used in construction. There are three gates of prayers place opening to narthex. There are marble grid windows over the gates having rounded arches. Minaret pedestal is quite high and has a thin body.
Mama Hatun Complex
The complex consists of Turkish bath and mausoleum. It is built by Saltukid Princess Mama Hatun in 7th century. It has a square plan and is built with shaped yellow stone blocks. Mausoleum has been added to complex by Mama Hatun later.
Abrenk Church and Obelisks
The Abrenk Church (Abrenk Kilisesi) is located in a depression southwest of Vank Maountain near Üçpınar Village. According to the information on its entrance, it has been built in 1854. Along with the church, there is a chapel and two obelisks. Obelisks has been stuck up in rocky ground in 17th century and an open-air prayer place has been created by arranging the surrounding.
On the scene-from-outside section of twin windows located in apsis part of the circular planned church, two animal figures of arch pediment and in between a human figure raising hands were depicted. These illustrations are seen only in this church so far.
Çadırkaya (Pekeriç) Castle
The castle, a settlement of Urartu, draws attention with its architecture features and ornaments. Çadırkaya Castle (Çadırkaya Kalesi) was built on a 100 mt. high and 150 mt. long natural rock block but there are no signs of its walls. However, carved roads, stairs, cisterns, caves and signs in the castle could survive until today.
Kemaliye Houses draw attention with their authentic architecture fabric. Having samples with two, three and four floors Kemaliye Houses' first floors were built with stone. One of the most important symbols of the houses are door knockers. There are two different types of knockers on outer doors with their ornaments and sizes. One of them is for men, and the other is for women. The one for women makes a treble sound, while for men makes a dead sound. The guest is welcomed by man or woman of the house according to the knocker sound.
The Stone Road (Taş Yol), connecting Kemaliye and Divriği districts, is considered as one of the most difficult roads of the world, of which construction has been completed in 132 years by carving the rocks of unfordable Dark Canyon (Karanlık Kanyon) by locale people using elemental tools.
Road is attractive for adventurers desiring to tour on road both by walking and by vehicle with its many tunnels, turns and steep cliffs.